It’s not secret that I am a very clean and strict eater DURING THE WEEK….and it’s also no secret that I tend to cheat way too much or over indulge on the weekends. Which has caused me to sabotage my own efforts of hard work.
I have had the most success with low carb/no sugar diets in the past….however, this way of fueling wasn’t helping me much when combined with working out….and we all know I am a workout junkie. ***And let’t just be real! Life is full of little celebrations that are usually centered around food. Who likes to miss out on that?? NOT ME!
My new diet journey is macro counting. I have done some macro counting in the past but not to the extent that I am doing it now. I have a full time trainer showing me the ins and outs of how to do this properly. It’s been great so far. I have been doing it for 3 weeks. I feel like a cheat a lot but its not really a cheat if you fit it in your macros. But of course, the more healthier nutrient dense foods your choose make the program more effective with faster results…but it is still effective even with several treats.
I thought I would make a quick list of a few things I have learned so far in the 3 weeks of doing this…..
1. Upgrading to the Premium MY FITNESS PAL APP is absolutely worth the money and an absolute must. You can customize your macros using grams rather percentages which is one of the downfalls of the free app. You can also add DAILY GOALS…which is what I am currently doing (meaning some days I eat high carbs and other days I eat low carbs). No problem cos I can customize my days to fit the criteria. And the APP also watches what I am eating and makes notes for me on what is high in fat, protein, or carbs. This allows you to see where you macros are coming from or how to hit certain numbers I am lacking at the end of the day. VERY MUCH WORTH THE MONEY if you are macro counting.
2. I am truly learning how to balance my good foods with my cheat foods. I admit, I do feel like I am cheating when I have an adult drink or a slice of pizza, but the deal with this program is that as long as it fits your macro numbers, then its ok. And it helps you learn how to not over indulge, either. ***THAT’S A BIG KEY FOR ME. Sometimes when I treat myself I over do it cos I think the damage is done…. That is simply not the truth, actually far from it. With this program you can treat yourself and learn how to not over do it, either! #win
3. Carb cycling is awesome. I get three high carb days. They are only 40grams more than normal but it feels like such a treat to me. And these high carb days are helping me stay energized all week long, too. I don’t feel tired at the end of the week. I am actually feeling just as strong and rested as the beginning of the week!
4. When I am not eating 100% clean….. I have to have probiotics. However, if I am eating super-dooper clean, I don’t need them so much. With that being said. I am taking them religiously again since I am eating “some” processed foods from time to time (as long as they fit my macros). (I highly recommend anyone who doesn’t eat 100% clean to take probiotics, too. Message me.)
5. It truly is a pain in the butt to get in a routine of logging every single thing you put in your mouth…..exact measurements of food, cooking oils or dressings, seasoning, gum, supplements (because supplements have macros too), etc. But to do the macro thing right, you must log everything. It does get easier once you start getting into a routine. But you can’t let a day go by without logging.
6. Preparing my lunches the day before a long morning/day at the gym helps tremendously. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I am at the gym from 6am-1:30pm. This is my big training day and I have a few classes to coach, as well. It is soo worth it to be prepared for these busy, active days. And I find it helpful to pre log these meals, too…. so I can see where I land for the remainder of the my day…which in turn helps me decide to cook for dinner later.
7. Going out to eat is just not good for macro counting unless you only want one meal for the day….. That doesn’t mean it isn’t doable. It just means it makes it hard to calculate and usually your foods contain WAY MORE calories than what you would make at home. PLAN for those out to eat days. On days I know I am eating out…. I generally have shakes for my other meals.
8. I still struggle to get my veggies in.
9. I am enjoying eating fish more and more. This is a big plus cos I never really liked it before. Fish is a great way to hit my macros without the fat!!!!!
10. Accountability is still very huge for me. I know how to do Macro counting but seem to stick to it on the weekends knowing I have a personal coach watching my every move. I also have other crossfit friends doing the program and find it super motivating seeing them making progress…..and love when they notice my progress as well.
11. WATER!!!! I drink a lot of water….but learning to drink out of a gallon jug is something I am learning to do…rather than a shaker bottle.
12. PROTEIN…… I have been concentrating on getting my protein in for over a year. I find having a post workout ProSupps Protein shake and nighttime protein shake helps me hit my numbers exactly. (I am a lover of ProSupps Supplements. Message me if you want a discount on your own supplements).
These are just a few things that I have learned along the way while doing this program. Like I said, it requires commitment to being disciplined enough to log and weigh everything….but in the end, its also like a daily game trying to hit your numbers. I am seeing changes and slowly losing. I am committed to continue this the whole summer!!! I am three week in (6# down) with 9 more weeks to go!!! COMMITTED! DETERMINED!